Lots of media activities are underway for our book, aimed at our fellow Baby Boomers and those interested in second careers, aka encore careers. For upcoming talks, see our Events page. Meanwhile, here is our media coverage to date:
TV: View our TV broadcast interviews
- Google recorded our talk on their campus and placed it on YouTube.
- Bay Area Vista by host and producer Janice Edwards—with occasional re-broadcasts including late April 2016.
- Signature Silicon Valley on the south Bay Area’s CreaTV Channel 30.
- Two different brief clips: Boomers: Married Boomers Volunteered in Africa and Find Your Passion in an Encore Career.
Podcasts: Listen to our interviews
- Big Blend Radio podcast with mother-daughter hosts and inveterate travelers, Lisa Smith & Nancy Reid as well as in Big Blend Magazine.
- On Lynda Brown on her Authors Chat
- On Daniel Davis’s Beyond 50
Digital & Print Articles: Read about our book and us
- PBS’ Next Avenue website with Wendy’s tribute to her father and his role in our eventual encore career in Africa. It’s titled Dad’s Gone but His Travels to Africa Still Inspire Me.
- Rick’s article titled “6 Ways to Volunteer Abroad and Be Really Useful” appears in the May 23 issue of PBS’ Next Avenue and on Forbes.com.
- Tufts Alumni Magazine, Spring 2016 on pages 60 and 82 and their website carried my entry, “Launch an Encore Career.”
- Local eNews Patch.com article about our 7pm book talk at the Cupertino Library on May 2.
- “Encore, Encore” article in the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity’s Rainbow magazine on page 41 – 42 (you have to scroll down through the online version. BTW with Paul Ryan on the cover, Rick’s in interesting company!
- Presentation to Los Altos Rotary reviewed in the Los Altos Town Crier (Rick’s photo was on the paper’s front page!).
- Feature in the Tisch College at Tufts University website and digital newsletter in their “active citizen” section and our book was well-reviewed in the Tufts Alumni magazine published in November 2015.
- 2 articles on Forbes.com on Adventure Volunteerism and why we volunteered in Africa.
- Learn how Rick’s career at Ernst & Young helped him in his encore career in the EY Alumni magazine both online and hard copy. This was also featured on the Junior Achievement USA website.
- PBS’ Next Avenue website about Adventure Volunteerism and how and why we volunteered in Africa.
- Read in the San Jose Mercury News’ “Good Life” section about our “Second Act” online and in the Sunday, August 9th.
- Huff Post Tech for Denise Wilbanks’ interview of us, including a “video.”
- Article about us in October 2’s Palo Alto Weekly.
- Articles about us in the Friday, August 28 in the Sunnyvale Sun page 5 and Campbell Reporter page 10 and September 18 in the Cupertino Courier page 8.
- Wendy’s articles on the Sixty & Me website / digital newsletter from August & June.
- Our story on the Encore.org website.
- Check out our appearance in an AARP ad.
- Book’s mention in The Africa Adventure Company’s Gnusletter.
- Find out why seeking adventure has its benefits at See Jane Do
- Harvard Business School Alumni Bulletin magazine 2 sitings: page 35 a large “call-out” with Rick’s quote/excerpt about “Gerentologists tell us that challenging ourselves later in life with new experiences, [etc.] …” And on page 83 in Class of 74 section B, a full-page overview of our book.
- A blurb about the book in the June digital newsletters of:
- AFK Insider for an African perspective on our service.
- Boomer Café‘s article on our experience in Africa with TechnoServe.
- Review by one of Amazon’s Top 100 Hall of Fame reviewers, Grady Harp.
- Our book’s review from Bart Astor a recognized expert in life’s transitions and eldercare. He’s the author of the Washington Post Bestseller, AARP Roadmap for the Rest of Your Life and has appeared on numerous TV and radio shows such as ABC’s “Good Morning America” and PBS Marketplace.
- TechnoServe blog about our book. A major promotion to its donors is underway.
- Los Altos Town Crier article with lots of pictures!
- For Delta Tau Delta “brothers” find a book review in Rainbow Magazine on page 20.
- Noted our August 25 and 26 talks in the Palo Alto Daily’s (aka San Jose Mercury News’ Peninsula section) “Things to Do.”
- Book’s exposure from our now-concluded Book Giveaways (May 2015):
- Good Reads had over 375 sign-ups for 1 paperback giveaway.
- The Celebrity Café had over 13,400 sign-ups for 6 paperback giveaways
- Library Thing had many sign-ups for 2 free eBooks
- Book listings at BeeZee Books as well as Microcerpt’s page for us! The latter is a site that promotes authors “Through a Universe of Excerpts” to reviewers, readers, and other authors.
REMEMBER to write reviews on Amazon and if you are a member, Good Reads. The more reviews, the higher our sales ranking which means more book sales and in turn, more revenue for TechnoServe’s Business Solutions to Poverty.